Pregnancy is an exceptional time for a mother-to-be. As she and her baby are connected physically, energetically and spiritually in this unique way, pregnancy allows for a mother and her baby to create a bond that studies suggest can last a lifetime. A regular yoga practice during pregnancy can also help moms *:
- Sleep better
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Increase the strength, flexibility and endurance of the muscles they’ll need for childbirth
- Decrease lower back pain, nausea, carpal tunnel syndrome, headaches and shortness of breath
- Decrease the risk of preterm labor, pregnancy-induced hypertension and low birth-weight
*Source: Mayo Clinic Our Kundalini and Hatha-based Prenatal Yoga classes feature exercises and stretches that build strength and stamina, and soften and open the hips, helping an expectant mom to help prepare her body for labor. Prenatal yoga classes also include special pregnancy meditations to help mom feel peaceful and tranquil during her pregnancy. Expectant moms can also take many of the regular classes offered at Yoga Village, but should take just a few precautions (see sidebar).
Baby & Me
Welcoming a new baby into the world is a special event in a woman’s life. It is also one of the most demanding, physically and emotionally. New mothers can restore and rejuvenate with a regular yoga practice when her baby is about six weeks old (and with permission from her midwife or obstetrician). While most gentle yoga classes will help a new mother either begin or ease back into a yoga practice, the Baby & Me classes at Yoga Village allow a new mom and her baby (newborn to almost crawling) to practice together. It’s a class that combines social time, yoga, feeding, holding, and changing with a little yoga mixed in! Babies love to watch their moms move in new and fun ways and the teachers are flexible in their approach to help accommodate the needs of the moms and babies.
Yoga Moms Membership
Yoga Village makes it easy and economical for pregnant moms to practice regularly with its Membership Options and gives them FREE time off after their babies are born. The special Yoga Moms package includes:
- Unlimited Prenatal, Beginner and Gentle Yoga Classes
- Unlimited Baby & Me Classes
- Select Pregnancy and New Parenting Classes (offered on an occasional basis)
- No charge to freeze membership for up to 6 months after baby arrives (normally $15/month)
- Discounts on select CDs, books and merchandise