Combine a mixture of apples, almonds, dried cherries, vegetables, bread and spices and Voila! Enjoy this delicious vegetarian addition to your Thanksgiving dinner.
- 12 cups oatmeal bread or whole-wheat bread cubes
- ¾ cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 3 Tbs. fresh sage, cut into thin strips
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic Thyme Leaf
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper
- ½ tsp. freshly ground Simply Organic Black Peppercorns
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 3 cups no-salt vegetable broth
1. Preheat oven to 225°F. Spread bread cubes on baking sheet, and bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Transfer to large bowl.
2. Increase oven to 350°F. Spread almonds on baking sheet, and toast 10 minutes, or until pale brown and fragrant, stirring occasionally.
3. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add celery, and sauté 2 minutes more. Stir in apples, sage, parsley, thyme, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and nutmeg; season with salt, if desired. Cook 5 minutes. Add maple syrup and vinegar, and remove from heat.
4. Combine apple mixture, bread cubes, almonds, and dried cherries in large bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish, and pour broth over top. Cover with foil, and bake 40 minutes, or until stuffing begins to brown on top. If you prefer crisp stuffing, remove foil, and bake 10 minutes more.
Recipe provided by vegetariantimes.com